In 1935, twenty-seven members of the former Holy Trinity Baptist Church met at the home of Deacon John W. and Deaconess Laurie Leverett to incorporate a new church. Our first worship service was held on Sunday, May 9, 1935. We had purchased a building at 777 Shawmut Avenue in Roxbury to use as a church and an adjacent building to be used as the parsonage. The church name -- Metropolitan Baptist Church of Boston, Incorporated -- was given by Sister Bessie Monroe.
Guided by members of the Boston Baptist Bethel City Mission Society (a ministerial alliance), our charter members were:
Carithia Griffin (Winbush)**
Brother & Sister Joseph Brisbane
Deacon Charles J. & Deaconess Sarah Coles
Deacon John W. & Deaconess Lauria Leverett
Richard C. & Obeline Lamb
John Milton & Justine Corbin
** Denotes her daughter
Inez B. Nichols
Albert E. Roberts
Thelma E. Wilson
Below are pastors of Metropolitan Baptist Church. Either click on the link on the left or a photo on below to review a summary of the pastorate of each pastor.